La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+3
blackwolf
karen
Mesquite
7 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Mon May 09, 2016 10:09 am

First topic message reminder :

from facebook:
The Servicio Meteorológico Nacional in Mexico is forecasting a slightly above average hurricane season with 17 named storms, 9 of those becoming hurricanes, and 4 of those hurricanes becoming major storms of Category 3 or higher.

for today,,,    - Page 6 Captur14

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 pm

http://noticieros.televisa.com/especiales/las-gasolineras-mexico-y-litros-litro/?platform=hootsuite

seems there are a lot more gas stations pumping accurately vs last time I saw one of these maps.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Fabulous Jazz Friday this Friday at Bar El Minero

Post by Mesquite Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

You will NOT want to miss tenor Guillermo García Proal singing big band classics and jazz standards in this charming setting on March 3, starting at 5 pm. Cover charge of 150 pesos includes a welcome cocktail and loads of great atmosphere. Plenty of good food and drink available. Reservations highly recommended: 612-176-3939, info@barelminero.com. See promo poster at https://www.barelminero.com/restaurant/

See you Friday on the terrace in El Triunfo!

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm

http://www.bajainsider.com/article/carnaval-la-paz-february-23-28-2017

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Join Us on Valentine's Day!

Post by Mesquite Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:45 am

Celebrate Valentine's Day at Bar El Minero on Tuesday the 14th with a special menu! Reservations recommended. We will be closed Monday the 13th. Email: info@barelminero.com. WhatsApp: 612-194-2093. Cell: 612-176-3939. Website: www.barelminero.com/restaurant. Facebook: BarElMinerodeElTriunfo

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm

bpe

Road Report: Worst surface conditions in years especially north of Guerrero Negro to north of Catavina where it felt like the pot holes where going to take out my suspension

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Start Training for the Don Diablo Now!

Post by Mesquite Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 am

The Don Diablo Trail Run—which takes place on April 9—is a highly demanding 35-kilometer (21.75-mile) trail run, 100% single dirt track, that crosses the Sierra Cacachilas mountain range. Starting from the outskirts of La Paz and finishing in El Sargento on La Ventana Bay, the course traverses many canyons and climbs three mountain passes with a total elevation change of 1409 meters. Read and see more about the 35K and 21K events on our new website or Facebook page. We encourage you to register now to take advantage of discounted pricing. info@dondiablotrailrun.com, https://dondiablotrailrun.com, https://www.facebook.com/dondiablotrailrun, (+ 52 1) 612 157 5764.for today,,,    - Page 6 Trail-run-mexico

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am

found by Mr. Fish location last night a drivers license for Marc Redman, contact Sol at coffee shop. It should be back in town tomorrow.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 pm

found a chihuahua, contact Sol at the coffee shop.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty An Adventure Gateway to the Sierra Cacachilas

Post by Mesquite Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:24 pm

The Rancho Cacachilas Bike Hub opened its doors on Monday, January 30, 2017 in downtown El Sargento. In addition to offering a bicycle shop for buying, renting and repairing equipment, The Hub provides opportunities for exceptional outdoor adventures unique to Baja California Sur. Led by our knowledgeable guides, visitors can learn about the cultural, mining and natural history of the Sierra Cacachilas. Join us for hiking, mountain biking, day tours, camping, overnight trips, wine and cheese tastings, organic gardening activities and more. Please visit our website to see photos and maps and other details: https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/adventures. Or, simply drop by The Hub on the Corredor Isla Cerralvo, the main street in downtown El Sargento. Look for a bike mounted on the wall above the door, across the street from Lavandaria Rossy. Telephone: (+52 1) 612 348 7758. See you soon!
for today,,,    - Page 6 Adventures-rancho-cacacilas

Last edited by Mesquite on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add telephone number)

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:22 am

needlefish warning for today and or tomorrow

I suggest you do not windsurf with blue. harness, wetsuit, board, sail (kite is ok)

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:26 am

The governor of Baja California Sur intends to enact a controversial new 350-peso tax on tourists coming from abroad and staying for more than a day. https://goo.gl/LM7CiS

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 am

Get Ready for Carnaval

2017 Carnaval is February 23-28.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 am

Southwest Airlines announced this week that they will begin flying nonstop to Los Cabos from San Diego in April, marking the airline’s first nonstop service between Lindbergh Field and Mexico.

The once daily flight to Los Cabos International Airport, which serves the popular tourist towns of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, will start on April 25, with booking available beginning Wednesday, January 25.
They will join two other airlines — Alaska and Spirit — that also offer nonstop service to the southern Baja California destination although Spirit’s flights are seasonal, not year-round.

Southwest is offering special introductory fares as low as $104 one way, starting Wednesday for travel beginning April 25.
Presently they fly nonstop to the Los Cabos airport from Los Angeles and Orange County and are scheduled to launch nonstop flights next month from Oakland, as well.

Southwest’s announcement comes as Tijuana’s A.L. Rodriguez International Airport is adding infrastructure improvements to ease air travel for Americans.

http://www.bajafly.com/report/Bajafly.report.htm

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by blackwolf Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:43 am

from facebook wrote:You can rent a car in La Ventana (right next to the Vet) for $40 for 24 hours - includes insurance and taxes. It's National Car Rental - but you have to book it through Giamperri at the La Ventana Souvenir Shop. I have one out on rental right now - it's very convenient

blackwolf

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty mosquito talk

Post by dean Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:55 am

I with the help of a friend Jon, I will be putting on a DIY discussion on how to make your own mosquito traps that work on the disease spreading AE mosquito that we have here in the baja. You should gain the knowledge of how to make your own traps by the conclusion of the event, though I show how to do it on my website. I have successfully made a one-way or dead end mosquito trap for the AE mosquito and tested it and it works. Basically, this is a what is termed a ovi-trap that does not allow the mosquito to escape is my improvement for 15 cents of screen material. Ovi-traps have been used for over 50 years. You can read up on my website. www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com I have a good location secured that has plenty of seating space available in LaVentana where the farmers market is held. My trap can be made with 15 cents of screen hot glue or silicone and a coke bottle. Just add water, we will explain the theory too. It does have the capability to stop dengue, zika, and so on dead in its tracks. If you are not crafty minded I will also sell the components that you just put in a 3-liter soda bottle for a low price. You should have about 4-6 around your home, these should last for 5-10 years just adding water. You will need to bring a chair to sit on, and several uncrushed rinsed out 3-liter coke bottles is the donation to me so I can make more traps. The date I am planning on is January 26th right after the farmer’s market in LaVentana, which is also the same day of the LaVentana Classic tournament if you wish to stick around for some events. This will be easy to find because it is on the main road just after the main campground and plenty of the signage for the farmer’s market on the main road. Tentatively at 12:30 right after the morning farmer’s market. Please bring a chair as there are none available at the location. Contact me though my website, see ya there. Dean.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm

best info I have seen on the gas issues...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/1557684557579478/?hc_location=ufi

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm

adam w wrote:Nice to see whale sharks in La Ventana yesterday morning. To keep these creatures frequenting the bay we should all follow these common guidelines listed on the NOAA website. I witnessed a jet ski with instructor and student circle the entire whale at an extremely close distance. Lets have conscious and create awareness for marine life in La Ventana.
for today,,,    - Page 6 Whale110for today,,,    - Page 6 Whale211
for today,,,    - Page 6 Whale211

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 am

wow they are paving some of the road from HWY5 to HWY1. Maybe about 6 miles will be paved in the near future, like this month. and the other side to the west another 7 miles could easily be done in the next few months. leaving maybe 8 miles for the next couple years.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85281

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:57 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/1555477214466879/

protests close hwy 1 in baja norte

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:35 am

S. Newman Darby, Inventor of the Sailboard, Dies at 88
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Mr. Darby created his invention, widely acknowledged as the first windsurfing craft, out of frustration that the waves on lakes were not big enough to surf on.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Holiday Paella! — Saturdays, December 24 and 31!

Post by Mesquite Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Bar El Minero invites you for our traditional paella this Saturday, December 24 and next Saturday, December 31! 11 am to 6:30 pm. We will be closed on December 25th and January 1st, Christmas and New Year's. Reservations recommended. Come join us and kick off the holidays in style!

info@barelminero.com
(+52 1) 612-176-3939
https://www.barelminero.com/restaurant/
https://www.facebook.com/BarElMinerodeElTriunfo/

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:35 am

rain last evening, got things wet, and sprinkles today so far.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 am

puppy was returned. She did follow a dog with its owner home. She did not have permission to have a sleep over so she is in the dog house....

Sophia is so happy.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:28 am

Sophia’s dog is missing since last evening around 4pm.    She is a larger breed of Chihuahua light brown and white, very friendly will not bite and will lick you to death.    She knows how to get home from anywhere near the campground.   She left and lives at the second property north of the campground.   She is known to go play with people who walk their dogs on the beach.     She has a pink K style harness on.    Answers to either tequila or ratatouille.   If found contact me by email or phone or take to Craft Coffee at the el teso plaza.   612-114-0202

for today,,,    - Page 6 20161110

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:38 pm

for today,,,    - Page 6 Receiv10

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Bar El Minero Party Today! — This Afternoon & Evening

Post by Mesquite Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:24 am

Bar El Minero invites you to celebrate the Day of the Dead TODAY from 4 PM onwards. Join us on the restaurant’s outdoor patio with live music, trick or treating, folkloric dances, guided graveyard tours, and a presentation of local legends by the town's middle school students. Hot dogs and Chef Felipe's award-winning paella will be available for purchase, made black with squid ink, cooked over an outdoor wood fire. Come in costume, and watch the kids — and adults — have fun! Admission to the party is free and open to the general public. See the above underlined link for more details, including directions and contact details.

for today,,,    - Page 6 Fiesta-del-d%C3%ADa-de-muertos

Last edited by Mesquite on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More info & formatting)

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Next saturday Nov. 5th at El Triunfo: the program includes guided tours to the grave yard and a sketch of local legends performed by the town middle scholars. Folkloric dances. Live music. Trick or treat for children, costumes required. Place: El minero bar Time: starting at 4 pm No charge.
Dinner for available: black paella (calamari ink) and hot dogs.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty what time is it in LaPaz

Post by dean Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:50 am

what time is it in baja, LaPaz?

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/mexico/la-paz

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Bar El Minero Events!

Post by Mesquite Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:23 am

October 28 through November 7 — We are creating an Altar de Muertos today (Friday, October 28). Photos of deceased loved ones are welcome, or simply come and admire the altar and join the celebration.

November 19 — Festival Gastronómico El Triunfo at Bar El Minero​. Help restore La Ramona, the village's iconic 19th century smelter smokestack. This multilateral initiative is an essential first step in reviving the economy and cultural heritage of El Triunfo. Great food, music and cause. $850 pesos.

We are open daily 11a - 6:30p, except for Tuesdays. Reservations recommended. Visit the Bar El Minero website for photos, menus, takeaway options, event details, press reviews, maps, Facebook link and more, or give us a call at (+52 1) 612-176-3939.

See you soon on the terrace for good food, brews, views, great causes and local history.

Last edited by Mesquite on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Broken link)

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 pm

plan to avoid travel to lapaz this day, well afternoon will be fine.

baja 4000 jan 13-22 2017
http://www.bamakoadventures.com/en/baja4000/

they should be going through losplaines the 17th...
for today,,,    - Page 6 14656348_1345513545489404_5157016831122426409_n

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:10 am

for today,,,    - Page 6 Fall-back-clock-change

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:10 am

wow we have wind....

also maybe this is why my window mosquito trap finally caught a wild mosquito.... another major success. I had been wondering why i do not see mosquitos like I use to right on my screen where I work. We just needed a bit of wind.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:27 pm

http://www.bajainsider.com/article/zika-virus-mexico

Updated October 17, 2016 In the past week the total number of new Zika virus cases in Mexico rose slower, but the number of pregnant women infected rose more rapidly. The hot spots in Mexico continue to be the states of Yucatan. Morelos and Veracruz while Chiapas returned to being one of the more active areas after several weeks of fuewer cases discovered in the past week. The number of new cases overall was only slightly greater than last week. There remain no known cases of the Zika virus on the Baja peninsula. This is just about the peak of the mosquito season in Baja, without rain, the breeding grounds for mosquitos disappears quickly in our desert environment. Campaigns to have residents clean up standing water near residences continues on radio and television.

The World Health Organization declared the Zika Virus a Global Health Emergency on February 1, 2016. The Zika Virus, when contracted by pregnant women or women trying to become pregnant appears to have a direct correlation to an increase in the birth defect microcephaly, or underdeveloped brains. By this declaration, it allows for the immediate release of special funding for research and containment. Since Late February 2016 a number of additional health problems have been linked to a Zika infection, including paralysis in adults. However, these problems are extremely rare, the major threat remains to pregnant women and their unborn child.

On April 10 the Center for Disease Control (CDC) announced that they believe the Zika virus poses a greater threat than originally thought and that contracting the virus during any phase of pregnancy can be harmful to the fetus. Direct links have been made to the virus and birth defects and it is believed that mutation in the virus from its origins in Africa have made it not only more virulent but is what has resulted in the connection to birth defects and temporary paralysis syndrome in a rare number of patients. Birth defects remain the main concern in the contraction of the virus while the general risk of other side effects remains relatively low.

State in Mexico
(10-17-16) Total Cases
Since 01-16 7-Day Increase
In All Mexico 4837 +531
Aguascalientes 1 +0
Campeche 53 +8
Coahuila 2 +0
Colima 169 +25
Chiapas 714 +105
Guerrero 763 +15
Hildalgo 104 +28
Jalisco 30 +4
Michoacán 54 +3
Morelos 119 +48
Nayarit 20 +2
Nuevo León 126 +29
Oaxxaca 483 +2
Puebla 38 +10
Quintana Roo 232 +36
San Luis Potosi 9 +1
Sinaloa 1 +0
Sonora 5 +0
Tabasco 206 +17
Tamaulipas 46 +29
Veracruz 1213 +103
Yucatán 449 +73
Total Pregnant Women 2417 +330
Baja California 00 00
Baja California Sur 00 00
As of October 17, 2016, and since the first of the year there has been a total of 4837(+531) tested cases of Zika in Mexico, with 2417(+330) cases in Mexico of pregnant mothers infected with Zika, a slightly greater rise in the number of pregnant women this week is in part a result of wider testing in Chiapis.

There have been no reported cases of the Zika virus recorded in either state of Baja California or Baja California Sur.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Two Fun Events at Bar El Minero this Weekend!

Post by Mesquite Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:47 am

Bar El Minero invites you all to drop by this weekend for some good food and entertainment:

Saturday, Oct 15 — Inauguration of 9-day photography exhibit — 4 to 6pm — El Minero Special cocktails
Sunday, Oct 16 — Los ContinKntes live musical entertainment — 1 to 5pm — El Minero Special cocktails and award-winning paella

Open daily 11a - 6:30p, except for Tuesdays. Reservations recommended. Visit our website (see underlined link above) for photos, menus, takeaway options, press reviews, maps, Facebook link and other details, or give us a call at (+52 1) 612-176-3939.

See you soon on the terrace for good food, brews, views and local history.

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:51 pm

wow today they finished the last part section of the road from LaPaz and should only take them another day to finish the other side they have left.

wow the road from LaPaz to here is better than it ever has been since I have been coming here. This down half of the mountain they also did with what looks like a high quality durable process. The top of the mountain was not done with the same process as I guess it is to difficult to do that without diversion paths where the cars are not in the way of construction.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:24 pm

check out how our local gas stations did in testing...

http://litroscompletos.eluniversal.com.mx/

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Bar El Minero Is Back In Action!

Post by Mesquite Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Greetings everyone! Thanks, Dean, as usual, for your abundance of useful local info.

Bar El Minero invites all of you to drop by and see us in El Triunfo, try our homemade bread, and discover our other new temptations. (We opened for the season last Sunday.)

Of course we still have your favorites: homemade sausages, mesquite-grilled seafood paella, artisanal cheeses, homegrown salads, draft root beer floats, craft, draft beer and more.

Open daily 11a - 6:30p, except for Tuesdays. Reservations recommended. Visit our website (see underlined link above) for photos, menus, takeaway options, press reviews, maps, Facebook link and other details, or give us a call at (+52 1) 612-176-3939.

See you soon on the terrace for great food, brews, views and local history.

Last edited by Mesquite on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Mesquite

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:24 am

Double Trip report (north and then south), as long as you can go slow for the 22 miles the going over to Gonzaga Bay is the way to go.  (not a long/big rv rig or pulling a trailer IMHO) Also the 50 miles near south of San Filipe you need to go the speed limit because of the vados.     I have a very low clearance car  VW...     and as long as you go slow you are fine on this hwy 5 construction area to hwy 1..    There is now diesel at Gonzaga Bay.

I also found driving the dirt part at night to be easier for me as I drive slower by human nature at night.   And a side benefit is they are not working so you can drive on the 5-7 finished bridges and good pack areas for about 1/4 of the total distance on the east side.    

Also a side note when on the final miles (maybe at 1 mile mark from hwy 1,  on the west side there is a major un-intentional camouflaged tope where you want to be going about 30 mph but should be doing 10 mph and it did take out my oil pan, being a low clearance car..    Lost a day getting it band-aided that has worked for 3000 miles and the return voyage.   I have a spare oil pan now.    And spare oil.    

Also note the 5-7 mile road construction approaching LaPaz is very similar to this entire 22 mile stretch, especially where the one near LaPaz gets very challenging in a few small runs that is what it is like about 7 miles of the bad areas of the 22 miles. and the rest of the 22 miles is like the mild parts of that construction are approaching LaPaz.    So if that construction was nothing for you so will the 22 miles from hwy 1 to hwy 5.

Took me 2 hours to do it this time, did it before in 1.5 hours.   I noticed on the first trip 10 days ago some workers fixing the old road we drive on a little bit with a front end loader and on the return yesterday those areas were better. still only 5mph in many areas and max was 20mph at the best areas for me with a low clearance car.   Where I hit the nearly invisible tope and broke my oil pan, I was doing about 30mph hitting my brakes and probably hitting it it at 20 mph.

I look at it I now have a new friend mechanic at the hwy 1-hwy 5 junction that I will be visiting for the years to follow..    As side note his (jose luis) English is as good as ours, if driving by stop and drop off a few eggs, dog food for the many friendly dogs he has adopted or other items you may not need anymore, he does live in a rugged area, no cell/phone, water, gas, electric for 40 miles to Catavina which are outrageously priced.     I am thankful he is there.    

This shortcut is good because the entire side from mexicali  is safer from serious issues is my experience of 3 times crossing it in the last year (less curves, less cows, less pot holes, less mountain grades with curves with trucks cheating into your lane and significantly faster, saving 2-4 hours even when I depart San Diego area.  So if coming from the backside of LA or San Diego avoiding rush hour traffics, or heading north or east from Mexicali you save much more time.  Plus it is rumored that there is construction traffic on hwy 1 past ensenada that can cost you 2 hours right now, and not a bombardment of traffic and lights and slow busses from ensenada to San Quintin.  

Now a benefit there is a good smart and final in Mexicali right on the 5 highway, well a block off.   The one in ensenada is horrible stopped there and no gringo foods.  But this Mexicali one is huge and carries many gringo foods like cheeses.   Like cheddar and pepper jack and so on.  No USA meats.    They carry a lot of products in bulk at great prices that you can buy on the mexican side and not have to deal with importation issues obviously.     I would recommend when leaving baja just stopping there to see the items they carry for reference when you return next trip.   .There is also a conveniently located COSTCO  almost at the 2 and 5 junction.

Talking to the mechanic at the corner where the construction workers for the west end bridges are sleeping, this crew is to be finished with their bridges on the west end by the end of December.    This is only the bridge work that this crew is working on, and then who knows if they will send in the crews for paving these sections till they are completely done which from what I can see in the center is a few years away from being done.     If they just pave the far east and far west parts that are near finished with the bridges in those sections it could leave about 1/3 to be completed in the future and really make this route popular even just being 2/3 done.     That 1/3 to be finished is the worst part too.  But would bring it down to maybe 45 minutes or 7 miles of yuck.     And again I think night driving it on the return made a huge difference, i had no wish to even go fast. for those of us that are impatient.

Last edited by dean on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Last week when I was not here it was reported we had a storm dump on us.   From what I see in erosion damage LaVentana received much more rain than ES.  also down near the T had a major amount of sand that none of the seasons past storms including our hurricane gave us.     But again generally in ES there are similar massive trenches and there were none visible to me in the village,  I did not check on further north that could have also had major rainfall.      my estimate in my garbage cans is 2-3 inches here at my location.

Last edited by dean on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:25 am

hitting dew point again.

late afternoon yesterday we had a cloud come from the San antonio direction where they had rain clouds for a few hours. We had this smaller one come and dump on is for 15 minutes or so and give us some rain. Not sure if this went to far north past the village. I did not have any empty things out to know how much rain so my guess is about 3/8 of an inch. where even at the south part of LaVentana could have received more.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:21 pm

incredibly humid...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty Bummer in Barilles

Post by karen Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:15 am

On Saturday or Sunday we had our blue and white Polaris Razor 4 seater stolen out of our garage in the Santa Maria area of Los Barriles. In my discussions with friends in LB It has come to light that 5 ATV's have been stolen in the past 30 days, this was verified by 2 people who had specific information on each incident. Many of you would recognize this ATV by the raggedy yellow and white comforter we had strapped to the top for shade. I am offering a $3000 reward for return of the vehicle if you have any information please contact me or Beto at LB Property Services at 6241887112 he is located right across the street from SMOKEY'S.. Thanks to All.
johnpaulson_2000@yahoo.com and 626 215-5978

karen

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:38 am

kiter out yesterday afternoon for a short session.    

more people in the campground now.

this morning very nice cool weather...    

mosquitos out in force  as of two days ago from the rain from the hurricane.   I have some octenol attractant so made a trap with it yesterday and it did not attract any mossys into my trap.     So today added some CO2 generation to see if that works.

forgot to mention the erosion from this hurricanes rain water was minimal., i did not even get any ruts on my property

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

one trailer in the campground hiding in the shade. Very humid day today.

there was a camper van in and out of the campground for a week or two, have not seen it there lately.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:43 am

lpg wrote:HI all Passed thru Santa rosalia yesterday between 6pm and 9pm, three hours of stop go, they are working hard on the worst parts and are doing well.
Make sure anyone travelling adds 2+ hours to the estimate for this area. All of the major problem areas are as soon as you drop out of the mountains into Santa Rosalia and 30kms south.
Mulege and south has a few arroyos with some debris, but not an issue. Loreto is clear. Construction between Km 60 and 41 to la Paz is slow but no issues.
It is going to be some major reconstruction to Hwy 1 in Santa Rosalia for some time.

Drive slow and in the daylight! All will be good.

our road over the mountain on our side even has the lines painted on it as of this week with markers to the side. the other side LaPaz side has a lot of pot holes.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:50 am

a short video i made of the hurricane the morning after when the winds were down to 40 mph sustained.   the wind was pelting me with sand in the face while i took this video.  

I will post it in the hurricane 2016 history section too.  also has a more complete description.  click on below link (note links only work if you are logged in)
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t887-hurricanes-2016

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 am

lpg wrote:My husband and I just returned from the states via San Felipe Thursday Sept. 8. The road to Lake Chapala from the Sea of Cortez is coming along but will take more time. We got to drive on some of the "partially" done roads for a bit but not much. It will be nice when done.

Everything was fine until we got into Santa Rosalita. Lots of mud slides and washed out arroyos. After leaving Santa Rosalita, we saw a major water line being repaired, electric lines down and many arroyos completely washed out. Workers were repairing everything as quickly as possible. There were probably 50+ trucks in each direction waiting to get through. As we were in one line for passage of an arroyo, military, red cross, and other volunteers from Loreto passed us with supplies and water (we recognized them!).

Mulege was fine except for some washed out arroyos and we couldn't tell if the power was out but we think it was. All stores were shut down. Lots of rocks fell onto the roadways but were already cleared out.

Loreto looks good.........

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:19 pm

stagnant and really humid tonight.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:28 am

we are up with electric again as of noon yesterday. I added a few more pictures I found from facebook to the hurricane 2016 thread of Santa rosilia and san Ignacio who had the larger damage because of the amounts of water they had. I am amazed how accurate the rainfall predictions were, the chart the day befor showed us with 1 inch and up in loreto to san ignacio 2-8 inches.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:35 pm

pictures at the following link, working off generator, but rumor is we could be back on soon, maybe by tomorrow. San Jose has been turned back on for example.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t887-hurricanes-2016

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 6 Empty hurricane newton

Post by dean Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:11 pm

well the tropical storm is supposed to turn into a hurricane is starting to show signs the seas  are starting to get rough, and now clouded in.     we have a onshore wind right now.   I will post pictures as things get rougher.    I really need a go pro with the waterproof housing..

6pm a few drops of rain, also from this point on I will post updates at

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t887-hurricanes-2016#4195

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next