La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico

Go down

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Empty getting TIP at pichilingue

Post by dean Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Vehicle title must be in your name and if you have other than a FMM tourist visa not possible. Issued at the dock in the morning before you travel, they will not sell you a ticket till this is done, have three copies of registration, your FMM visa, your passport, your drivers license. Make sure your car insurance covers the state you are going to and it is generally easy to have them modify for a small price.a credit card


Posts : 5535
Join date : 2008-01-01

Back to top Go down

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Empty Re: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico

Post by dean Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 am

people are reporting on facebook vehicles with salvaged titles or severe damage past history from carfax that the cannot enter mexico to get a TIP permit.


Posts : 5535
Join date : 2008-01-01

Back to top Go down

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Empty Re: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico

Post by dean Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Mexico Vehicle Permit - Temporary Import Permit
You can now apply for your Mexico Vehicle Permit Online:

Vehicle Permit Requirements for Different Regions of Mexico

No vehicle Permit is required if you are only going to Baja or Puerto Penasco!

Border Zone:(within 25 kilometers across the border): No Vehicle Permit required.
Baja Peninsula: No Vehicle Permit required (must obtain a Tourist Card for yourself if you travel south of the Border Zone or stay longer than 72 hours). More Baja info
Sonora Only: The state of Sonora operates a program known as "Sonora Only" for visitors who stay only in the state of Sonora. The "Sonora Only" permit requires less documentation than the standard 'Mainland Mexico Vehicle Permit', and the 'Sonora Only' permit is free. (The need for a credit card is also waived). More Sonora and Rocky Point Info
In addition to normal proof of citizenship documents (needed by all visitors to Mexico's interior) "Sonora Only" visitors need only present a valid drivers license and proof of vehicle ownership or legal possession by the driver. Legal possession can be proven with one or more of the following documents:

  • Vehicle registration (in the name of the driver) or original title Lease contract (for leased vehicles)

  • Company owned Vehicles must provide some proof of the labor relationship between the Driver and the Company who owns the vehicle.

  • Leased or Financed Vehiclesmust provide a 'Letter of Authorization' from the bank or leasing company (if the vehicle is leased or financed). Make sure to contact your bank or leasing company to get your 'Letter of Authorization' a few days before your trip. They will require a copy of your 'Full Coverage' Mexican auto insurance policy before issuing the 'Letter of Authorization'. Adventure Mexican Insurance makes it easy to send your proof of Mexican auto insurance because your policy is created as a PDF file which can be e-mailed directly to your bank/lease company as an e-mail attachment.

Sonora Only Permits are valid for 180 days and may be obtained at the check point at Kilometer 21, south of Nogales on Highway 15. If you are entering from another border crossing, please call new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo1-800-4-SONORA FREE.Permits must be returned to this check point within the allotted six-month period.
More information on driving in Sonora

Vehicle Permits for Mainland Mexico

If you plan to drive your vehicle south of the 'Border Zone' in mainland Mexico (or outside of Sonora), you are required to obtain a temporary vehicle importation permit. You can obtain this permit at the border. Vehicle Permits can be valid for a maximum of six months, and the vehicle must be 'checked out' (by Mexican authorities) of the country prior to the permit expiration date. Failure to so could result in having the vehicle confiscated.
Even if you never plan to bring the vehicle back into Mexico, you must always 'check out' your vehicle at the Banjercito Vehicle Permit Office before exiting the country.

NEW: The Mexican border officials have recently computerized their vehicle permit tracking system. Many of our customers have confirmed that you no longer need to 'check out' your vehicle at the same border crossing as you entered Mexico. This allows customers to enter Mexico in one location and exit Mexico at a different border crossing. You still need to find the Banjercito office on the Mexican side of the border before you enter the US - so make sure to stop at the Banjercito office before exiting Mexico. The vehicle permit officials will scan your vehicle permit upon exiting Mexico and generate a receipt for closing your vehicle permit.

Make sure to have the following ORIGINAL (or notarized copy) documents with you:

(You will save yourself some time if you also make 2 photo copies of each document prior to crossing the border!)
1: Valid proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate).
2: Your Tourist Card or Tourist Visa.
3: The valid vehicle registration certificate, or original title that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle. The person whose name is listed on the registration must be present. (If the registered owner is not going to be present, you must contact the Mexican Consulate in advance for details on how to obtain the permit).
4: If the vehicle is financed, you should contact your finance company to receive a 'Letter of Authorization' allowing you to drive your vehicle into Mexico.
5: If the vehicle is leased or rented, you must provide the lease or rental contract with the driver's name on the contract.
6: A valid Driver's License (a Non-Mexican driver's license).
7: An international credit card, (American Express, Diner's Club, Mastercard or Visa), in the name of the driver of the vehicle. (If you do not have a credit card, you can also make a cash deposit).
Adventure Mexican Insurance provides this general information as a courtesy, but it may not be entirely accurate (Mexican laws may also change). Adventure Mexican Insurance assumes no liability for any reliance on the information provided.
For the most current and accurate information, you should contact a Mexican Consulate. Below are a few links to Mexican Consulate websites:
Los Angeles, CA
2401 W. Sixth St., Los Angeles, CA 90057
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo(213) 351-6800 * Fax: (213) 389-9249
San Diego, CA
1549 India St., San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo(619) 231-8414 * Fax: (619) 231-4802
San Antonio, TX
127 Navarro St., San Antonio, TX 78205
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo(210) 271-9728 * Fax: (210) 227-7518
Phoenix, AZ
1990 W. Camelback, Suite 110, Phoenix, AX 85015
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo(602) 242-7398 * Fax: 242-2957

Note below not all these offices can remove the TIP permits.  Also if you want locations on the mainland go to this link.     For instance Pichilingue can not remove permits.    I know the Otah one can.    I have a map with pictures  to its location in the other thread.

Banjercito CIITV Offices

Banjercito Office Otay/Tijuana
Open Monday thru Sunday / Abierto  Lunes a Domingo 08:00 - 00:00 hrs.
Fray Junípero s/n, Garita de Otay,
Tijuana, B.C., C.P. 22430
664-624 -5515  /  664- 683- 6244  

Banjercito Office San Ysidro/Tijuana
Open Monday thru Sunday -  Abierto  Lunes a Domingo  06:00 - 00:00 hrs.
Calle Línea Internacional S/N,
Garita, Puerta México, Col.
Federal, Tijuana, B.C., C. P. 22010

Banjercito Office Tecate:
Monday Thru Sunday - Lunes a Domingo 08:00 - 20:00 hrs.
Av. Lázaro Cárdenas 201, Esq.
Callejón Madero, Zona Centro,
Tecate, B.C., C.P. 21400
665-521-2536 / 665-521-2536

Banjercito Office  Mexicali:
Pte. Int. Mexicali   Monday Through Sunday  06:00 - 22:00 hrs.
Blvd. Abelardo L. Rodríguez s/n,
Col. Alamitos, Puerto Fronterizo,
Nuevo Mexicali II, B.C., C.P. 21210
686-567- 8504 / 686- 567- 8504

Banjercito Office Puerto De  Ensenada Port of Ensenada:
Lunes a Viernes / Monday Through Friday  08:00 - 17:00 hrs.
Sábado Saturday 10:00 - 14:00 hrs.
Recinto Portuario Blvd. Teniente
Azueta No. 101, Zona Centro, C.P. 22800
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo646-178- 1835 

Baja California Sur / South Baja

Bancercito Office / Modulo Pichilingue
Monday, Wednesday  Friday / Lunes, Miércoles, Viernes   07:00 - 15:00 hrs.
Tuesday and Thursday / Martes y Jueves 07:00 - 18:00 hrs.
Saturday /Sábado  07:00 - 15:00  y  20:30 - 22:30 hrs.
Sunday / Domingo 08:30 - 16:30 hrs.
Interior de la Terminal Marítima de
Pichilingue, La Paz, B.C.S., C.P.23000
Tel: new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Call_skype_logo612 -123 -4457


Posts : 5535
Join date : 2008-01-01

Back to top Go down

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Empty importation good for many years with FM2-3

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Cars and pickups (no dually’s) can be either permanently or temporarily imported by expats with FMM’s, FM3′s, and FM2-Rentista’s. The vehicle must be exactly 10 years old to be permanently imported (tramited / “nationalized”), see “Importing Used Autos”“, but temporary permits are issued to FMM, FM3 (No Inmigrante), and FM2-Rentista (Inmigrante Rentista) visa holders. Temporary permitted vehicles must be returned at the end of the visa’s period, or the car can be confiscated by Mexican officials. Vistor’s FMM’s and hence their temporary permits are for 180 days, while vehicles temporarily imported under FM3′s and some FM2′s are allowed to stay in Mexico as long as the visa remains valid. The owner of the vehicle must stop at Aduana offices at the border to have them remove the import-sticker whenever the vehicle leaves Mexico.

The main part of Mexican Customs Law (Ley Aduanera) that covers expat driving and importation issues is Article 106, and the Operations Manual for Temporarily Imported Vehicles, page 45, Sec. 17-17.4 (“Manual Importacion de Vehiculos”“)
Article 106 basically says two things:

Your car registration is valid as long as your FMM, FMT, FM2, or FM3 is valid; and
It describes who is allowed to drive your car. (see below)

Article 106 allows foreigners to temporarily import a car into Mexico for the duration of the registered importer’s immigration status: e.g. 180 day FMM visa gives 180 days for their car; FM3 & FM2 holders have the 365 days for their car (plus any extensions or re-applications).

It is also worth noting that:

The car import sticker is valid as long as the holder’s Visa remains valid, regardless of the expiration date shown on the import sticker. FM3 period = Vehicle’s approved period.
As long as you made your original deposit with a Credit Card, there is no requirement for the driver to go to a border crossing / car permit office to renew it, because it is automatically renewed when you renew your FM2 or FM3.
You are required to notify the Mexican Customs office IF YOU MADE A CASH DEPOSIT TO REGISTER YOUR CAR or if you made a credit card deposit after June 11, 2011. This notification (including copies of the vehicle permit and copies of the renewed Visa) can be made in writing and sent to:


Posts : 5535
Join date : 2008-01-01

Back to top Go down

new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico Empty new rules for bringing a car into mainland mexico

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 pm

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

* * * *
This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

* * * *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.


Posts : 5535
Join date : 2008-01-01

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum