La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident

Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty Re: vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident

Post by dean Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 am

from facebook, the issue was car broke but they need to go back to USA to get their FMM renewed.

FYI - the answer has arrived! Immigration replied to my email rather quickly (🙌) and let me know I can get a "safe return" permit from SAT once my car is fixed. Once it's issued, I have 5-days to get my car to the states.
"En cuanto a su Vehículo, deberá contactar al Servicio de Administración Tributaria (SAT) http://omahttp://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanasPortal/Paginas/index.html#!/inicio una vez que este haya sido reparado con la finalidad de poder retornar el vehículo a los Estados Unidos con un Permiso llamado "Retorno seguro" http://omahttp://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanasPortal/Paginas/index.html#!/temporal."

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty Re: vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident

Post by dean Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 pm

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm

lpg wrote:
    The decision to obtain a Perminente Tarjetta should never be taken lightly. There are some very significant differences between all the types of Cards, length of stay, renewability, right to hold property, right to work, are a few of the major differences.
And there are many subtle (and not so subtle) requirements with each class.
For the vast majority of Visitors who just want to "vacation" but stay longer than 180 days and who want to return repeatedly plus enjoy the right to drive their "foreign" car without importation, hold property etc. the status of "Temporary" is the perfect solution especially if you hold real property which really isn't worth very much.
The Perminant card is much more restrictive but also comes with additional benefits such as "working", never requiring renewal and especially, the often overlooked tax benefit upon your death (assuming you hold real property of significant value).
And of course the FMM - 180 day tourist card.
All cards require you to update your address in Mexico. The frustration is with all things Mexican, the process is excruciatingly slow.
Before deciding what class of card is right for you, consult a lawyer. And even though you have not made the best decision for your situation, ie: Perm instead of Temp, I suspect even that is fixable. But please, get some legal advise. If you stay away from the "Migracion expeditors" and consult with a bona-fide attorney you will find them both very affordable and very thorough with their explanations.
But to stay on point, yes, you must have an exit card (same as most other Countries) and of course, an entry card as well. That's always been the law. Don't like it, the only solution is don't come. The problem is that many visitors assume past practices of enforcement constitute the law but that's not true.
With an FMM, you return the portion you were given when you entered, that's your exit card. If nobody is available to collect it, you mail it back noting the date of exit.
With either Temporary or Permanent status: those cards constitute your entry card and are what you present when you enter Mexico. So now for the "exit" process. At the border or airport take your Temp or Perm card and your passport to the Immigration counter and get your "SPECIAL FMM". You fill out your name and passport number along with your status card number and YOU MUST CHECK THE CORRECT BOX indicating this is an exit, so if you don't know, just ask. The Immigration Officer will keep one portion (your "exit" card) and give you the other which you DO NOT LOSE. And when you re-enter in the future just give Immigration that portion of your "special" FMM along with your passport and status card (Temp or Perm). And that proves you have complied with the "exit" law. Voila, Welcome to Mexico.
You mentioned your cars, look, the law basically says you can keep your foreign plated car in Mexico for as long as your residency allows, but your foreign plated car must be removed at the end of that term. So since both the FMM and the Temp status cards have ending points at which time you must leave (either 6 months, or 1 yr up to 4 yrs). And if that is important to you then what in the heck are you doing with Perm status? You selected that, didn't you? Since Perm status has no end point, a foreign plated car cannot be brought (Temporarily Imported) into the country using that card.
And this law is similar in the US. You have two weeks to register your car in the State you are residing in the US. Vacationers' are exempt (same as Mexico). California is particularly brutal about this, if the CHP stops you are finds you have a California Drivers License but a vehicle licensed in another State.......... TICKET.
So don't get so frustrated with Mexico, as you delve into laws you will find more similarities than differences. But the biggest problem occurs when people assume that Mexico is the lawless "wild west".
Anyway, the law about how the exit correctly is the same regardless of your method of travel, air, vehicle or walking.
Best of Luck
Bob

lpg wrote: EVERYONE now needs to obtain a FMM card upon crossing the border. Residents are not exempt, but we do it in reverse. We get our FMM on the way OUT and we retain the opposite half of the card that a tourist does, which we turn in upon return. We (or the agent) usually take a big felt marker and write RP or RT in big bold letters on the top of each half of the card so there is no mistaking that we are residents. That is important because if you re-enter Mexico designated as a tourist, your visa will be cancelled.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:46 pm

fees for 2016
2016 Update for INM Visa Fees
SEGOB - INM has announced their 2016 fees:
http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5377721&fecha=30/12/2014

Residente Temporal Visa Permit Fees:
– 1 year => $3,596 pesos
– 2 years => $5,389 pesos
– 3 years => $6,825 pesos
– 4 years => $8,089 pesos
Regularization Fee: (Plus fines) => $1,149 pesos
Change Fees:
~ Changing from Residente Temporal to Residente Permanent => $1,149 pesos
~ The fee for family members or spouses to change from Visitante (tourist) to Residente
=> $1,149 pesos
~ Work permission change fee (from non-working temporary resident) => $2,700 pesos
Residente Permanent: Visa cost => $4,383 pesos
Lost / Stolen / Damaged Document Replacement Fee: $1,083 pesos
Permission to leave while document in process: (Travel Letter) $368 pesos

via yucaLandia the link from next post

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:02 pm

http://yucalandia.com/2014/12/30/2015-inm-immigration-fees-for-mexico/

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:35 am

The biggest concern as far as cars are concerned is that we let a Mexican National, without US license, drive a car registered in US-Canada. That is a recipe for disaster as highway police (Federal de Caminos) can stop, take car, and will be very difficult to get back. They are watching airport drop-offs., Having been Baja Sur resident for 25 years, I even make sure, if pulled over, not to let them know I have Mexican Citizenship, to avoid potential drama---- Having a Foreign license is legal, they just try to scare you. The current registration of cars in S Dakota seems to be working well for many. It is easy, fast, and legal. Although I am a Buenavista resident, I am spending half my time in Tijuana, working on couple projects for BCS. We also just opened a commercializadora, with my girlfriends' family's Importing Agency (Agencia Aduanal) We have and will continue to import-ship anything into-out of Mexico. (Her family imports approx 300 cars/ month+ all merchandise) Our stateside office opens next week in Otay Mesa. Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding cars, merchandise, and ways to avoid potential headaches. Peter bajasunrise @at() gmail.com
BPE

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty Vehicle Importations

Post by dean Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:19 pm

lpg

. Re: Vehicle Importations
    Posted by:  car_go_van
    Date: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:59 am ((PDT))

Nogales Tel  631-31-52571 Nex  62*259663*2 Cel Mex 045 6311201015  USA cel 520 841 6797 Email ancomercial@hotmail.com

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 am

http://yucalandia.com/2014/08/18/update-on-paper-only-permanent-car-imports-into-mexico-import-from-the-comfort-of-your-couch/

Update on “Paper-Only” Permanent Car Imports into Mexico: Import from the comfort of your couch.
Posted on August 18, 2014by yucalandia
vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Virg_med001August 18, 2013:
Here’s an update on how the latest amparos (similar to a Temporary Restraining Order) are working at the Mexico-USA border to allow us foreigners to legally and permanently import our foreign-plated cars without taking the car to the border, (called “paper-only imports”) .  An open letter on this from Oscar Angulo was posted on Mexconnect.   As with other Yucalandia contributors, Oscar has years of a fine reputation for consistently giving good assistance to Americans and Canadians here in Mexico:
”  By all means I will give you an explanation, as to what are the basics to realize this new manner in which to nationalize cars without taking them to the border.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 am

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-business/importingregisteringvehicales.htm#.U9_Gv_ldV8F

How to Import Your Car into Mexico & Get Mexican Plates

If you are of permanent resident status in Mexico you can not drive a non-Mexican registered car. Enforcement has begun and the penalties are swift and painful

Updated July 31, 2014 The importing of a vehicle by a foreigner (U.S. and Canada) is not really that difficult and has become more necessary with some of the immigration law changes in here in Mexico. It is in fact according to Mexican Customs (Aduana) it is illegal for a permanent resident of Mexico to drive a foreign plated car.

This has been debated by many people and I’ve been told it is not true; however if you ask the Federales de Camino or Aduana, they will in fact tell you it is Mexico Federal law.

Since it is a Federal law many of the local police in different cities may tell it is okay to drive a U.S. plated car as long as they hold a U.S. license. Yes, in fact as far as THEY are concerned it is legal but it is not according to the Federal authorities and they are the ones that could confiscate your vehicle.

It has already happened repeatedly at the Cabo airport and I spoke to the U.S. consulates office who explained that lawyers are trying to recover almost 50 vehicles at this time

click on the link as they have a write up how to legalize your vehicle in Mexico.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:55 pm

What do You do When You Have Completed 4 Years of Temporary Residency?
If one wants to continues on another 4 years on a fresh Residente Temporal, then when that expat completes 4 years on a single FM2/FM3 or Residente Temporal permit, the formal rules say they must leave Mexico and return to their home country to file at a Mexican Consulate for a new Residente Temporal permit... or switch to 6 month Visitante permits and go to the border every 6 months to renew.
ALTERNATELY:   SOME local INM offices do now process applications for new Residente Temporal permits for previous RT's who have just completed 4 years of temporary residency (aggregate RT, FM2/FM3, No Inmigrante/Inmigrante years)  - issuing a NEW Residente Temporal permit without leaving Mexico.   For the INM offices that allow this (like Chapala and Guadalajara and  ... ?),  the foreigner intentionally allows the final year's RT to expire, and then they go into their INM office immediately after expiration.  They pay a modest $1,600 peso "late penalty" fine - and the $1,036 "Regularization" fee,  submit bank statements and translations, and pay the normal RT fees.  This is done at your INM office,  without going to a Mexican Consulate.    Lic. Spencer McMullen's law firm does this without ever going to a Mexican consulate.
Downsides:  Realize that INM will will not give us a travel letters during this special process,  so, plan to stay in Mexico until your new RT is approved.     Also note that if the RT applicant has a temporarily imported TIP car,  when their old RT expires,  the TIP expires simultaneously - and you would need a Retorno Seguro permit to legally drive the car (to a border),  unless you live in the Free Zones:  Baja California,  Baja California Sur, and Q. Roo - where foreigners are allowed to drive their foreign plated cars without any TIPs - as long as they have insurance and also keep their US or Canadian license plates and registration current.
We look forward to hearing from readers around Mexico about whether their INM offices accept this approach.
Please Continue to Make Comments and Replies to Help Keep This Information Current!

Disclaimer: This information is not meant as legal advice. It is for educational and informational purposes only. Government policies vary between States and offices, and Mexican Government officials have broad discretion in how they individually enforce policies, so, your personal experiences may vary. See a professional for advice on important issues.
http://yucalandia.com/2014/06/17/alternate-way-of-getting-a-new-residente-temporal-permit-after-4-years/#comments

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri May 16, 2014 9:39 pm

All told, Life is great. Today, Les became a citizen! He called from Mexico City and the whole shebang of getting the naturalization paperwork and ordering a Mexican passport took all of 2 hours! The rest of the people were still there as he left with paperwork in hand. Folks, if you can afford Gilbert Pineda, do it. His price today April 2014 is $1000 dollars. You must fly to Mexico City two times and you pay extra to get a passport $100 or so. Flights La Paz, Mexico City one way runs you $200. And Gilberto: He is simply brilliant. What was supposed to take 4 months (like mine did) is now taking less than 2 months. Even took Gilberto by surprise as he had told us 4 months and we jumped the gun and bought tickets for June. Which we will use to commemorate his birthday, my birthday and well, another vacation .....

Edit to add: Gilberto told Les that his citizenship process was so fast because I had already become a citizen. Not sure what one thing has to do with the other...but there you have it.

[Edited on 4-27-2014 by BajaBlanca] 

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73372

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty car issues import and so on

Post by dean Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:45 am

http://www.mexperience.com/blog/?p=3931

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:49 pm

this is not good news from Lapaz gringo

I assume Lapaz has the right to do this.  while mainland from what I heard was about to allow cars with temporary because they are not citizens just residents.   People are asking for verification but I have to say everything I have read from this lawyer has been accurate.  

But below a person posted an exemption to the law.

The city law on plates and driver´s license is been modified, In 2014 the city police is going to impound and fine the owner of a vehicle which is not imported when said owner has the immigration status of RESIDENT.    To avoid this contact CAN-AM-MEX LAW FIRM / FIRMA JURIDICA at can-am-mexAThotmail.com or by calling 612 348 9793, they provide fully insured transportion to Otay and back plus broker service. 

Here's the thing... yes article 33 says that any vehicles driven in La Paz have to be plated within 15 days of internacion (admission....) but article fifty-two says that if you have a current registration and current drivers license from a country with reciprocity, you can drive it.

ARTÍCULO 33.- Para que un vehículo pueda transitar en el Municipio de la Paz, será necesario que esté provisto de su tarjeta de circulación, placas respectivas, calcomanía de la verificación electromecánica y de emisión de contaminantes vigentes o en su caso permiso provisional de circulación, expedidos por la Dirección, así como contar con seguro de daños a terceros en sus bienes y/o personas con póliza vigente por una compañía de seguros autorizada por la Comisión Nacional de Seguros y Fianzas. Todos los vehículos pertenecientes a propietarios residentes en el Municipio de la Paz y que transiten en el mismo, deberán ser dados de alta en la Dirección de Tránsito Municipal o Delegación correspondiente. Cuando se trate de vehículos procedentes del extranjero o de otra entidad federativa el término para hacerlo será de quince días, a partir de la internación legal al país o de la fecha de adquisición, a menos que se justifique legalmente que cuenta con placas y tarjeta de circulación vigentes; o en todo caso deberá de presentar la baja foránea del vehículo o constancia de no adeudo ARTÍCULO 51.- Para conducir vehículos de motor en el Municipio de La Paz, las personas deberán portar la licencia o el permiso respectivo, que se otorgará previo curso de educación vial, examen y el pago de los derechos correspondientes. La licencia para conducir es un documento público, expedido por la autoridad de Tránsito Municipal que autoriza a una persona para la conducción de vehículos de motor, con las limitaciones, características especificadas y vigencia que la misma ley y presente reglamento establece. ARTÍCULO 52.- Las licencias para conducir expedidas por otros Municipios del Estado, así como las de otras entidades federativas tendrán validez siempre y cuando se encuentren vigentes; de igual forma las expedidas por las autoridades en otros países donde exista reciprocidad y en este último caso, siempre que vehículo porte placas y registro vigentes del país donde la licencia fue expedida.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 pm

again this is reported not me,   I have to say I still would get the proper plates until a large law firm put it in writing. I had a friend 10 years ago who was a FM2 residente and he always told me not to become a FM2 for tax and the car issues.  He would get pulled over in LaPaz with his US plated car and motorcycle and they would threaten to confiscate it.    They never did though.  

The big issue now is the liability in many states went up from 20-30k USD to USD$300,000.00  and the issue here in mexico are severe if you can not pay the judgement, you go to jail and I do not know how long, some rumors are till it is paid.   so who wants to be the first test case.        

--- In lapazgringos@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" wrote:
>
> I have Residente Permanente ... am I required to put Baja license plates on my
vehicle and have a Mexican Driver's License.
>

I asked Angel Arteaga this question yesterday. This is his answer.

With the new Immigration laws many other agencies such as Customs had to adapt
to the different Status granted by immigration. What you have heard is correct.
Those holding Permanent Resident cards must permanently import their foreign
vehicles and register these at the local DMV. However, this does not apply in
the case of those people living in border towns (free zones) such as the whole
Baja. Therefore, you don't have to worry about this requirement unless you plan
to drive or move to mainland.

His contact info is:

Consultoría Integral & Diseño Sustentable
Angel I. Arteaga
Ingeniero Civil
Cel.  (612) 155-5555
U.S.  (816) 237-0848
a.arteaga1980@...

Andrea W

here is a person who talked to Lewis and Lewis.     I would ask them for this in writing...    

Remember they are only a broker they are not the insurance company.      I bought insurance from a large broker in USA before and got in a fender bender in LaPaz about 6 weeks later to find out the insurance company would not cover my accident.    but this may have been an exception they went bankrupt.    

also from LPG group
I just spoke with James Lewis of Lewis and Lewis Insurance about my Mexican Auto Tourist Policy and if it is valid for those who hold a Residente Permanente visa.

He said "As long as the plates on the car are foreign to Mexico the Mexican Auto Tourist Policy for Baja California is valid for drivers who hold a Residente Permanente visa and are also foreign citizens."  

Payette

>
> I have Residente Permanente ... am I required to put Baja license plates on my
vehicle and have a Mexican Driver's License.
>
Re: [LPG] Re: Vehicle licensing question.
Posted By:
grandla
Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 am  |
Options

I was told this directly by the US Consul, Tijuana,  Andrew Erickson, during a meeting with/for expatriates in Todos Santos, this last yr.  He qualified that he is not a Mexican official, but that was his understanding of the rule.  This came up in a general discussion of the pro and cons of obtaining Mexican citizenship.  Going with that, he said it would be illegal for a Mexican Citizen,(even a dual citizen), to drive and own a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 am

http://yucalandia.com/pesos-politics-markets/gringo-attitudes-regarding-tips-inm-permits-and-mexicos-laws-the-article/

Gringo Attitudes Regarding TIPs, INM Permits, and Mexico’s Laws – The Article
July 5, 2013

There has been an interesting exchange of views, buried in the comments section of our Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico article, that raises and tracks a number of ongoing issues that gringos face in Mexico. These discussions seem to boil down to 5 basic issues:

- Should we (foreigners) generally respect and follow Mexican Laws and rules?

- Should we instead follow our own personal / individual sensibilities of what we feel is right and wrong, when our beliefs conflict with the actions & beliefs of local Mexicans or local Mexican govt. officials or police?

- Are gringos entitled to create Burger-King-niches in Mexico? … “Have it YOUR way.“

- Are we guests here, or do we instead somehow have all the rights that we imagine exist back in Canada or the USA ?

- Does it benefit Mexico and other foreigners to have a small-but-growing group of foreigners who intentionally are ignorant of … and ignore …. the laws and rules and ignore the direct instructions of police and govt. clerks, bureaucrats, and other officials? ( Just where do the “Disney-Land” view of Mexico – where Mexican rules “don’t apply to us / me” – “What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico” attitudes … lead? )

- What kind of gringo community do you want to be associated with?
Do we want to be known as people who are respectful, using behavior and personal codes that humbly mesh with local, regional, and national rules and laws – or Do we see ourselves as Patriots and Free Citizens, free to do what we think is “right”.

The specific issues that triggered these dialogues were the supposed “rights” of Permanent Residents to keep and freely operate their Temporarily Imported Permit (TIP) vehicles in Mexico – along with our “rights” to have and legally assert Common Law (Concubinado) relationships in interactions with Mexican police and other Govt. officials…

Here are parts of our responses to the questioner:
“Note that Article 106 DOES NOT APPLY to your situation. TIP vehicle owners who have gotten Residente Permanente cards are NOT allowed to keep their TIP vehicles in Mexico, and Residente Permanentes can only legally operate their TIP vehicles when they have a valid 5 day Retorno Seguro permit from Hacienda, to take the vehicle out of Mexico. This official final ruling came down in late February from Aduana Mexico City, and it has been supported 100% in every challenge since them.

The changes in Aduana rules have been simultaneously true-but-changed (updated), due to the May 2011 INM Law changes. Unfortunately, there are many stubborn gringos who cling to the idea that if they continue to have some/ANY INM residency permit, that their Aduana TIP is somehow magically protected.

The legal principle governing this is that the Aduana Law specifically says only Inmigrante No Lucrativa and No Inmigrante qualify to have TIPs. You, unfortunately, NO LONGER have either of the qualifying types of INM permits. Since the “new” Residente Permanente is a lucrativa visa, then there is NO equivalency between the old qualifying INM permits and Residente Permanente under Aduana’s rules.

Gringos with Residente Permanentes have had their TIP cars confiscated since the late February 2012 Aduana rulings.

When we drive our cars with a Residente Permanente, consider that we also put other people at risk significant harm, due to us not having legally required $$$ protection, since insurance companies can deny accident protection coverage due to driving an illegal vehicle. In many states, if we accidentally hit and killed a family of 4 Mexicans, we would owe up to $20 million pesos to that poor family.

Do any of us have $20 million pesos?
If not, then it seems to be irresponsible for any of us to ignore the laws, just to serve our personal beliefs.

Since you (the questioner) opened the door to moralizing, when you incorrectly and non-factually moralized about how the police should not have stopped your spouse, I thought you were open to discussing moral behaviors. Should we remain silent about our peers ignoring and disobeying laws, especially when it puts them and others at risk – especially when the peers ask for advice?

When we choose to ignore the laws, then a good working society uses the option of peer pressure to attempt to get scofflaws to follow the laws – hopefully before they get arrested and punished.

Really, here at Yucalandia, we are faced with a basic choice:

Should we tell people directly and clearly when they make mistakes – and tell them the consequences of not correcting the errors?
or
Should we hedge our answers – or sugar-coat things- Doling out “spoons full of sugar” so the “the medicine goes down” – simultaneously risking significant misunderstandings due to subtle, nuanced, read-between-the-lines types of communication?

We choose the direct and frank route.

Mexico is better when the Mexicans and gringos know Mexico’s laws and follow Mexico’s laws.

You (the questioner) write what you think the spirit of the law is.

Really, the spirit and letter of the Aduana law with TIP cars is straightforward and easy to understand:
- Temporarily Imported Permit (TIP) vehicles are in Mexico only ** temporarily ** ,
- TIP vehicles are allowed only for foreigners with **temporary** visas,
- ALL TIP cars must either be ultimately taken out of Mexico, or destroyed,
- TIP holders agreed in a signed written contract to take the car out of Mexico when they do not meet the terms of the agreement they signed,
- Unfortunately, by getting a Residente Permanente card, you no longer meet the requirements of the agreement, because you chose to get a **permanent** visa,
- You chose an INM status that does not meet the requirements that you signed-up for,
- Since you did not keep your part of the legal agreement, you are now required to take the car out of Mexico.

===================================================
Re proof of undocumented concubinato status: How do you prove this during road-side stops?

As such, people in your situation risk having one or both of you sitting in temporary police detention for several days, with no food and no water, until the police can determine your – marital status – and – proof of ability to pay for any and all $$ liabilities – . Is it moralizing to simply answer your questions about legal realities and explain the directly related things about how it actually works with the police across Mexico?

We have friends who have been “detained” this way, and they universally say that it is no fun – except for the one Yucatecan spouse who said she now has a whole group of new friends from her over-night happy-chat session with the other detainees. *grin*

=======================================================
Hope this helps the dialogue move forward, on WHO gringos are, on WHO gringos want to be, and Do we have any personal responsibility for how we are treated and how we are perceived by our host country and her citizens….

As a general rule-of-thumb, while in Mexico, if we start to feel like we are in Disneyland – a place where reality is somewhat-suspended – a place with almost no rules – no restrictions – a place where we get to do whatever we want – then, …. it may be time to pause, and remember: …

We are guests here.
There are rules, even though a policeman is not in sight.
Mexicans may seem to tolerate rude, arrogant, “I know better” (a.k.a. disrespectful) attitudes.
Mexicans (especially in rural areas) are generally very modest and traditional people,
… people who value polite and humble behavior,
… people who do not welcome public drunkenness regardless of the time of day,
… people who prefer smiles over conflict
(be patient, gently smile, … nod-and-smile, nod-and-smile, nod-and-smile… and this annoying gringo will ultimately go away if I wait long enough),
… people who enjoy whatever tasty or fun thing that presents itself in that moment,
(frequently making us late for promised “commitments”),
… people who recognize that a simple shrug and “oh well” look on the face, goes a long way to being content,
(there is nothing that can be done about many of the nuisances/obstructions in life ~ ni modo ~ ),
… people who value, and even treasure, their pasts and their families, and
… people living with enough hope & trust to know that tomorrow will be OK
(and it may be even better than today)**.

All the best,
steve

**… Worrying about the future … or World Politics … or How should we change the world to some more ideal state, … and other Germanic, Teutonic, British, American, and Canadian internal ruminations … do not seem to be a central features of Mexicans … or Mexican culture. …

The Mexicans we know and love, do not sit around having ad nauseum discussions about “solving the problems of the world”. …

Can anything be learned here? *grin*
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:23 pm

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65756

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty license plates

Post by dean Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 am

this is not happeneing here in baja that I have heard but still something to be aware of.

In the latest round of pitfalls facing people who nationalize their foreign plated TIP cars, there are reports out of Chapala that some lawyers and brokers are issuing fake pediments and giving out plates that are off stolen cars. Lic. Spencer McMullin reports that this becomes a big headache for the driver if you are pulled over, and the police find you are driving a car that shows up as being stolen. Police take car theft seriously, and he points out that they may approach the driver with guns drawn... http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=43893#entry339164
If you suspect there might be a problems with your plates, you can check them at this Mexican Federal Govt. website:
http://www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/servletconsulta
You enter your Plate Number, VIN, or Folio ID.
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

RE fidis. The last I read there was a vote to pass in one section/committee of the government and requires I think it was the senate ratification and President to sign. There were many things that would have to be worked out, like investment clause for over 2000 sq meters; it is for non-business purposes non rentals, so what happens if a person uses it for rental? Penalty either a fine or forfeiture. And so many issues are complicated and have to be determined before next vote. Procedure for changing, i.e. it will require a legal process using notary and bank fee is more that has to be determined too? So estimate is if it gets passed and signed into law about 6 months to1 year while the details are ironed out. As we can imagine if it is passed the speculation is huge sales in areas where foreigners are presently buying and a small difference in the areas where foreigners have avoided in the past with the Yucatan area getting the largest growth. These are some of the tidbits I have read so who knows.

RE cars; my understanding the old FM2 that was not rentista you could not take a US plated vehicle on the ferry. That same friend of mine told me he tried. And as I said he was hassled several times in La Paz for having a US plated vehicle but never received a fine or had it confiscated as a FM2. This seems to be the same with the new PERMANENT resident program, not with the other visas. And as reported on the mainland on several blogs the difference is now on the mainland they have confiscate cars and threatened and told people so. They have said if you are driving the car north to remove it it is safe passage but heading south with permanent resident status expect it to be confiscated. I never read before anyone on the mainland had issues ever before with confiscation. Thus I do believe people that are permanent residents should prepare themselves at least mentally they will be in time mandating here in the baja for ONLY permanent residents. Maybe 1-3 years. Also note it is much harder to enforce here in the baja because we do not need to register our vehicles like they do in Mainland after the border or first state zone.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

vv
I have driven my mexican plated car into the states for the summer, I just had my mex insurance company add US coverage which was only $60 more for a 90 day period,,,, no problems at the border or anywhere in the US, it's very doable,,,, David

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty to re-import car back to the USA if needed, done..

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Good News !
With all the concerns over what to do with foreign-plated cars, we forgot to include descriptions of what to do with your Mexican-plated car if you want to go back to the USA. The good news? We have options!
While putzing around on a forum from a very different part of Mexico, (Chapala.com) I noticed that some gringos on that forum were in a lather over whether an American citizen can take their now-Mexican-plated-car back to the USA, especially if they originally bought it in the USA and then permanently imported it into Mexico. The process played out as follows for one savvy reader, a Yucalandia contributor.
Check with respected experts like Rolly Brook. Rolly's site has been a wealth of information on Mexico for many years. Rolly Brook.com clearly says that US Customs does not allow us to re-import our former US cars (once permanently imported into Mexico). But , he says that you can drive that Mexican-plated car in the USA for up to a year.
Another person replied to say that the cops tend to hassle Americans driving Mexican-plated cars... Option 2? Call US CBP and ask for the real scoop:
A Yucalandia reader had a nice talk with a very knowledgeable and very helpful US Customs Agent and offered the following details:
Requirements to import a vehicle made for US sales and purchased new in the USA:
~ Complete EPA Form 3520-1 (found online)
~ Complete DOT Form HS-7 (found online)
~ Submit the completed forms to CBP as you enter the US side of the border crossing.
~ Wait for CBP agents to review your forms and inspect your car.
~ If approved, (which is the common outcome), then complete your part of US CBP Form 7501, and take Form 7501 and the car to that US State's auto registration office.
The US Customs expert explained that the process at the border is easy and relatively fast, and it is free. There are no import fees for a US citizen to import the same US vehicle they previously exported to Mexico.
Savvy travelers may have already guessed that the EPA and DOT forms basically document and certify that the owner has not tampered-with nor modified any of the US mandated special safety equipment or features of the car, and that the owner has not tampered-with nor modified any of the US mandated pollution control equipment or features of the car.
Sidelights: There was no waiting-on-hold, the system directly routed me in to talk with an expert, the call was free, the US Govt. agent was very pleasant and very helpful, and the whole call took under 5 minutes.
Fortunately, we can get the actual information from a single phone call, rather than relying on guessing. Easy.
Happy Trails,
steve
© Steven M. Fry
Read-on MacDuff . .

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty importation location at border

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 pm

here is how you can find a place to do the importation at the border. It is right across the street from the adjuana where you get vehicle stickers removed or get them. it is at otay mesa, no longer at san ysidro crossing. I was told the place can do the importation in 6 hours.

http://www.la-ventana.info/t311-aduana-how-to-get-a-car-tempory-pass-in-tj-otay-mesa#1845

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty temp import car permit by residente permanents confiscated

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm

temp import car permit by residente permanents confiscated
by dean on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am

Three (3) Temporary Import Permit (TIP) cars owned by Residente Permanentes are reported to be confiscated by the police in Mazatlan. We here at Yucalandia follow reports from numerous expat web forums from around Mexico, and the following is a credible report from Mexconnect of TIP cars being confiscated for driving without a valid importation permit:
"Here in Mazatlán there were three foreign-plated cars belonging to gringos who had just recently received their Residente Permanente status that were confiscated. The 6 days (Aduana de Mazatlan gives Residente Permanentes) to remove the cars from México or nationalize them had passed. It is rumored that the Federales said if the people with the new status are headed north toward the border to remove or nationalize the cars, fine, no problem. But if they head south, they are fair game.
Two of the cars confiscated were in Villa Unión which is just beyond the cutoff for Mazatlán´s airport (there is a popular seafood restaurant there) and one was at the airport....both locations south of Mazatlán. Supposedly, the US Consular agent was stopped at the airport, but he showed his diplomatic immunity papers and his car was not confiscated. Scary!
Tom Whitmore "
April 4, 2013 Mexconnect http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188845;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=last;#last
Before this report, we have read only 2 other isolated reports of confiscations of TIP vehicles owned by Residente Permanentes. So far, the reports of confiscations are isolated to the Mazatlan area, but there is no assurance that other Aduana offices and police will not start confiscating Residente Permanente's TIP cars in other parts of Mexico.
The current Aduana Operations Manual for TIP vehicles has rules that say: TIP cars must be returned to the border when the foreigner no longer has a valid Inmigrante (FM2) or No Inmigrante (FM3) INM permit. Under the published laws, the only clear legal option for Residente Permanentes with TIPs, is to get a Safe Returns permit from SAT/Hacienda and legally drive their car out of Mexico: What to Do If Your Car Becomes “Illegal” – The Retorno Seguro Program / Permit:.
Further details on these issues can be found at: Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico and Options for Foreign-Plated “TIP” Car Owners in Mexico, esp for Permanent Residents
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty New (Limited) Vehicle Importation Rules for Mexico

Post by dean Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:10 am

lpg
New (Limited) Vehicle Importation Rules for Mexico
yucalandia | July 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/pTOvh-ti

New Vehicle Import Laws Allow 8 - 9 Year Old Big Vehicles in a Special Northern Mexico Zone
As of Friday, July 1, Mexico allows the importation of 8-9 year old NAFTA approved large vehicles like combis, trucks, buses, etc into the States of Baja California, Baja California Sur, and part of Sonora. "Diario Official July 1, 2011 pp. 97-101". Residents of this special zone are allowed to import these 8-9 year old vehicles at lower taxes. Article 12 allows these vehicles to be dispatched through the rest of Mexico. A number of blogs are reporting that the law applies to all areas of Mexico and all cars, but we've found no evidence of this. For now, we prefer El Universal's July 3, 2011 report that confirms Yucalandia's reading of the new statute, confining the rule changes to a special Northern zone and to large vehicles.
This post is meant as a public service announcement, not as legal advice. Subsequent posts will be updated as understandings and interpretations of the new rules develop.
© Steven M. Fry
Read on, MacDuff.

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty new length of time for temp import of a car

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/
6/19/2011)

Cars and pickups (no dually’s) can be either permanently or temporarily imported by expats with FMM’s, FM3′s, and FM2-Rentista’s. The vehicle must be exactly 10 years old to be permanently imported (tramited / “nationalized”), see “Importing Used Autos”“, but temporary permits are issued to FMM, FM3 (No Inmigrante), and FM2-Rentista (Inmigrante Rentista) visa holders. Temporary permitted vehicles must be returned at the end of the visa’s period, or the car can be confiscated by Mexican officials. Vistor’s FMM’s and hence their temporary permits are for 180 days, while vehicles temporarily imported under FM3′s and some FM2′s are allowed to stay in Mexico as long as the visa remains valid. The owner of the vehicle must stop at Aduana offices at the border to have them remove the import-sticker whenever the vehicle leaves Mexico.

The main part of Mexican Customs Law (Ley Aduanera) that covers expat driving and importation issues is Article 106, and the Operations Manual for Temporarily Imported Vehicles, page 45, Sec. 17-17.4 (“Manual Importacion de Vehiculos”“)
Article 106 basically says two things:

Your car registration is valid as long as your FMM, FMT, FM2, or FM3 is valid; and
It describes who is allowed to drive your car. (see below)

Article 106 allows foreigners to temporarily import a car into Mexico for the duration of the registered importer’s immigration status: e.g. 180 day FMM visa gives 180 days for their car; FM3 & FM2 holders have the 365 days for their car (plus any extensions or re-applications).

It is also worth noting that:

The car import sticker is valid as long as the holder’s Visa remains valid, regardless of the expiration date shown on the import sticker. FM3 period = Vehicle’s approved period.
As long as you made your original deposit with a Credit Card, there is no requirement for the driver to go to a border crossing / car permit office to renew it, because it is automatically renewed when you renew your FM2 or FM3.
You are required to notify the Mexican Customs office IF YOU MADE A CASH DEPOSIT TO REGISTER YOUR CAR or if you made a credit card deposit after June 11, 2011. This notification (including copies of the vehicle permit and copies of the renewed Visa) can be made in writing and sent to:
http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty importation also

Post by dean Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 am

http://www.aerointel.com/CustomsDocuments/mexico.pdf
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1883-mexico-s-a-breeze

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 am

Courtesy of the www.bajawesternonion.com - On the Pacific side

Ferry Vehicle Permit Info - My husband is in the process of getting his imagrado card, he has had his FM2 for 5 yrs, we went to La Paz to get our vehicle permit to go to mainland Mexico, the lady at the ferry office would not give him the permit, because he is in imagrado status. Once you are applying for imagrado or have your imagrado card, (you are now a Mexican resident) by law your vehicle is suppose to be imported. As his wife I have my FM2 and was able to get the vehicle permit as long as your name is on the vehicle registration. March 18 2010 - Stan , Baja California Sur

dean

Back to top Go down

vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident Empty vehicles and FM2-3 now permanent resident

Post by dean Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 am

bpe
FM2 Surprises & Importation of Vehicles: This year we decided to “upgrade” our immigration status to FM2. After we received the documents, we started hearing about problems various people, who were citizens or had FM2s and driving a car with US plates, had when stopped by Federal Police. You probably know that it is illegal for a Mexican to drive a vehicle with US or Canadian license plates (unless the owner is in the car). When you have your FM2 or if you have received your Mexican citizenship, according to Mexico, you are now Mexican. Therefore, it is illegal for you to be driving your car that has US or Canadian plates here in Mexico! You can be fined or your car could be confiscated. It may be a matter of showing the police the “correct” paperwork if stopped with US plates; your US registration, your US driver’s license, etc. But if they happen to ask for your tourist visa or FM3, and you show them an FM2 or citizenship papers, there’s the problem. It just depends on the Federal Police who stop you - they can make it difficult for you if they want to.

Our solution was to have our vehicles imported, get Baja license plates and Mexican driver’s licenses, and purchase Mexican auto insurance. We were helped easily through most of this process by Oscar Unzón Camacho who lives in La Paz. He can tell by the VIN if your car can be imported (right now they allow 2010, and cars 2005 and older, but no “luxury” cars (VIN starts with a letter)), and if it can, the importation process takes about 48 hours. He can also help you get the license plates. Oscar was head of Customs in La Paz and San Jose for many years, and knows the rules and the people to work with to get things done legally, and he is very trustworthy. You can contact him at os_car_import@hotmail.com or os_car_import@yahoo.com.mx or call him on his cell phone at 612-154-9577. He doesn’t speak much English, but he does understand most of it.

Last edited by dean on Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down